POSITION: Director, Marketing & Communications
LOCATION: Los Angeles Area
SALARY: Competitive + Benefits
About the position
The Director, Marketing & Communications is responsible to drive and support the execution of all League marketing and communication initiatives. The primary responsibility is to implement and execute the annual marketing and communications plan, including but not limited to national advertising programs, managing brand promotions, and driving event marketing and ticket sales, with a large allocation of time given towards the SLS World Tour.
This role will also develop and manage the League’s public relations strategy to support programming, sales, digital, social, and marketing initiatives. This position reports to the General Manager of Street League.
• Independently and proactively plan logistics, arrangements, activation, staffing, and execution for League contests and promotions.
• Promote key initiatives and assets, including digital media initiatives, talent and personalities, production, distribution, and promotional efforts.
• Contribute creative ideas and solutions for campaigns and marketing programs.
• Act as onsite event team leader at national, regional, and local events.
• Manage a team of local promotional employees.
• Expand promotional opportunities for events.
• Liason with host cities to ensure successful execution of marketing intitatives as applicable.
• Manage the SPoT relationship (Tampa pro/Tampa am/Damn am).
• Liaison with PR agency when needed.
• Develop and maintain yearly event and promotions calendar.
• Develop and manage contests and promotions relating to events.
• Guide and monitor the brand identity throughout the League consistently.
• Contribute to forecasting and building yearly initiative plans.
• Drive marketing event planning and production.
• Develop creative activation ideas for events.
• Oversee communications strategies, policies, and procedures in collaboration with the General Manager.
• Proactively develop strong relationships with local, national and trade media representatives.
• Pitch stories to relevant consumer and trade reporters.
• Create and manage media opportunities and respond to all media-related inquiries.
• Provide communications counsel and media training to executives, talent and others.
• Travel to key event locations to build/strengthen relationships and assess event/partnership success.
• Proactively seek out new ideas that support marketing objectives.
• Track and monitor key marketing data, consumer research, and advertising tracking studies.
• Responsible for overseeing inventory maintenance of all event supplies and equipment.
• Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Ideal Skills & Experience
• BS/BA preferably with a concentration in marketing or communications.
• 3+ years action sports event marketing experience, experience in a marketing agency or a B-to- C marketing organization a plus.
• Proven ability to manage a budget with focus on efficiency, effectiveness and cost control.
• Proven knowledge of marketing principals.
• Extensive knowledge of action sports lifestyle.
• Strong understanding of online communities, social networking trends, and relevant media habits of the Street League primary consumer.
• Event production / management and customer service experience. Proven ability to drive ticket sales results for live events.
• Ongoing awareness of relevant market conditions and trends.
• Proven track record of strong attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through. Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks, and to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment.
• Sense of urgency to drive projects through all phases, adhering to tight deadlines and changing situations with the ability to learn and react quickly; a willingness to be held accountable for results is a requirement.
• Brilliant decision making and problem solving skills.
• Strong computer and analytical skills; expert or advance knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint.
• Willingness to travel (25-50%) and work over weekends and holidays when necessary.
• Ability to conduct work in a self-directed manner with limited supervision and as part of a team.
• Strong project management skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include name and “Director, Marketing & Communications” in subject line.